Thursday, August 20, 2009

Authorsday -Jill Hart




My guest today is Christian writer Jill Hart. She runs a website http://www.cwahm.com/ (Christian Write at Home Moms).







1. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?



I may different that many other writers in that I didn't set out to become one. I was told in the early days of my website (CWAHM.com) that I should write articles about working from home to help draw traffic to the site. So, I began writing with that in mind and along the way I found that I love to write!
2. How did you pick the genre you write in?




In many ways it was chosen for me because of my website. I do find, though, that when I'm stressing to much over an article or feeling burnt out, if I take the time to write a short story or something completely different than my normal topics it refreshes me and gets me excited about writing again.
3. What do you know now that you are published that you didn’t know pre-published that you wish you knew?




I wish I had known how kind everyone would be. Even the people who I had to hear rejections from were kind about it. I think if I'd known this I would have taken risks sooner.
4. What was the best writing advice someone gave you?The best advice I was given was to be more authentic in my writing. In the past I tended to stay away from sharing my own experiences, mostly out of fear of what people might say. I'm learning that by sharing some of what I've experienced and been through I can relate to people and build relationships with others who may be dealing with some of the same things. I've also been reminded that "I'm not alone" - as moms, as women we deal with many of the same issues and it's so great to be able to laugh, cry and learn together.5. What was the worst? Did you know it at the time?Someone once told me to just go with ebooks and not bother trying to get published (since I run a website anyway). As much as I love ebooks, you can reach an entirely new audience in print.
6. Why did you pick the publisher that ultimately published your book?I don't think I can claim to have "picked" my publisher :) but I was initially interested in speaking with Beacon Hill because they are faith-based, located in the midwest and they've published many authors that I admire.
7. If you could ask your readers one question, what would it be?




I am always asking people what questions they have about working from home. :)



8. Describe your book.




So You Want To Be a Work-At-Home Mom is a straightforward, practical how-to book. We do share some of the things we've (my co-author Diana Ennen and I) experienced while building our businesses, but the focus of the book is not us, it's all about the reader and how they can build a successful business from home.
9. What authors do you admire?




I LOVE to read. A few of my favorite authors are Liz Curtis Higgs, Dondi Scumaci, Tricia Goyer - I could go on and on. These women are amazing at both writing and speaking as well as truly connecting with their audience.



10. What do you do when you are not writing?




Generally if I'm not writing I'm either playing with my kids, hanging out with my husband or working on my website. Or reading - I make time to read pretty much every day ... and if I can do it while taking a bubble bath ... well, it doesn't get much better than that. :)


Author Bio:

Jill Hart is the founder of Christian Work at Home Moms, CWAHM.com. Jill is a co-author of the upcoming book So You Want To Be a Work-at-Home Mom (Beacon Hill, Sept. 2009). Jill welcomes work-at-home questions at http://askjill.cwahm.com/.

Book Blurb:
So You Want to Be a Work-at-Home Mom details all the basics of starting a business in a spiritual, motivational, and comprehensive manner. With proven success tips utilized by the authors and others who own work-at-home businesses, this inspiration approach will provide you with the resources you need to start your own home-based business.
The book includes:Detailed information on types of businesses to startIdeas and assistance for setting up, operating, and marketing your businessDefinitions and descriptions of work-at-home terminology and processesHelp for developing your Web siteExplanations of the business nuts and bolts - and more

3 comments:

Kathye Quick said...

Godd luck with the book. Now that my kids are gone, I am a happy emplty nester, but would have loved to work from home when they were younger.

Hope your book inspires many.

Kathye Quick said...

And, as you can see, my at home job would never be proofreading!

It's Good luck!!!

J Hali Steele said...

I've had some time off to write but the job market is looming before me. I'll have to take a look at your book. Maybe...