Friday, August 3, 2012

Fun Facts from Jenn Nixon

1. The first real piece of writing that I finished from beginning to end was a Star Wars Fan Fiction based on the Jedi Apprentice Series. If you really dig on the internet I think you can still find it on a forum or something. The story wasn't half bad, and I've actually taken some of the names and characters from that piece and used them in other works. I will admit, I was super proud of myself for finishing something and it helped me to see how much I loved to write. I haven't stopped since.
2. I was once a semi-finalist in a regional Karaoke contest. Before I became a writer, I wanted to be a singer. I'm pretty good, not the best, but I enjoy it. Anyway, the day of the big competition, I messed up my words because I got there late and couldn't practice and the version I sang was different than the one I was used to singing. :-(
3. I started keeping a Diary at age 13. I kept up with it for the most part up until a couple of years ago when I started blogging. For Teenaged Jenn, writing in my diary was cathartic. It was the one place I wasn't judged, lied to, picked on, yelled at, or treated like a kid. I haven't gone back recently to read some of those old entries, but the last time I did, I kinda felt bad for that Teenage Jenn, she was very sad but kinda funny too. Such drama for a 16 year old! One day I may use those old writings for a memoir or something.
4. I love hats! I don't have a huge collection right now because I'm kinda broke, but if I had money, I'd have a huge hat collection instead of a shoe collection. I currently have about 7 or 8 hats. They are mostly painter cap types with a few ball caps, my favorite two are the Indiana Jones Fedora (Decorative only) and my awesome new bowler hat that I got for Christmas last year from the BFF. This year I asked for a Deer-Stalker. Hope I get one!
5. When I was in High School, I read every single play and sonnet by Shakespeare. I thought it was cool that we shared the same birthday (Chris Redding too!), and I enjoyed reading Hamlet. So, my wonderful English teachers from 11th & 12th grades gave me access to the book room!
6. Back in the mid 1990's, I was a telemarketer. I was damn good too. Anyway, at one point, probably right before I left the place, I knew every zipcode and phone exchange in NJ. Remember, this was before cell phones. (But I had a beeper!) I still remember some of them. My home town, of course: 862 and 925 were the originals, now there's like ten 474, 523, 717…
7. I believe in Aliens. I know, I know, kind of a given right? But hey, some people may not know that about me. Recently, I've been fixated on the whole Ancient Astronaut theory. The theory is that aliens have been coming to Earth since, well, forever, and have helped Humans along via DNA, Technology, and even in a Religious/Spiritual nature. While I don't necessarily believe ALL of the theory, there are some part of it that make total sense to me.

Lucky’s Charm Excerpt
To protect her family and find a killer, Felicia “Lucky” Fascino assumed her adoptive father’s identity and joined the network, an organization of moral assassins to finish the job he began. Eliminating the man responsible for murdering her mother has consumed her for the last five years. While keeping her Uncle Stephen and cousin Elizabeth at arm’s length, Lucky begins to feel the weight of her career choice and reclusive lifestyle. Then a chance encounter with an enigmatic hit man, during one of her jobs, turns into a provocative and dangerous affair. Distracted by the secret trysts with Kenji Zinn and mounting tension within her family, Lucky makes reckless mistakes that threaten her livelihood and almost claim her life.
Bio: Jenn’s love of writing started the year she received her first diary and Nancy Drew novel. Throughout her teenage years, she kept a diary of her personal thoughts and feelings but graduated from Nancy Drew to other mystery suspense novels.
Jenn often adds a thriller and suspense element to anything she writes be it Romance, Science Fiction, or Fantasy. When not writing, she spends her time reading, observing pop culture, playing with her two dogs, and working on various charitable projects in her home state of New Jersey.
www.jennnixon.com www.facebook.com/JennNixonAuthor Twitter: @jennnixon

3 comments:

Jenn Nixon said...

Thank you for having me, Chris!

Shelley Munro said...

Fun facts. I believe in aliens too, and I think I have more hats than shoes. We should do coffee :)

Jenn Nixon said...

Shelley, I'm getting a Dear Stalker hat this year for Xmas. Last year I got a Bowler hat!