Monday, January 31, 2011

ExcerpTuesday: Judi Coltman

Is It Just Me? or Is Everyone a Little Nuts! is a funny, sometimes ironic book that offers a laugh out loud look at parenting, marriage, aging and small town living from an suburban point of view.


Written in short chapters, Coltman retells everyday life events, conversations and stories infused with her skewed sense of humor. These small snippets of life are moments in which anyone can identify and laugh at themselves as well. Middle age can be boring, but Coltman allows the naughty into her life from time to time, like her adult Scout Troop, "Cougar Scouts" Troop 69, or conversations between her middle aged self and her seventeen year old self that will leave you rolling ( and remembering!) A great quick read beach side, poolside in the tub!


Chapter Sixteen An Ounce Of Prevention


Healthcare. There, I said it and now I’ll stand back while the people from both sides of the issue line up baring teeth and waving baseball bats. It is, absolutely, a political hot button that conjures up the most biting words with the teeth marks often showing up on the best of friends. I am concerned about the Healthcare Crisis too, but my reasons are a little different and some may seem a wee bit selfish, but I have a solution and it is nothing short of genius.

I’m all about preventative care. It only makes sense, doesn’t it, to avoid a disease instead of waiting for it to extend it’s clammy hands around your neck and then worry about the costly treatment? My own genetics point to heart related issues. I’m not happy about this but the die has been cast and the best thing I can do is try to live my life in a preventative manner which, to me, means taking steps to avoid heart disease. And I think insurance should be more than happy to pay for it.

This is my proposal: I think insurance should pay for a lifetime of red wine. Simple right? Everyone knows that the tannins of the grape skin found in red wine have been found to be beneficial to the heart. In fact, a glass of wine a day is a RECOMMENDATION for optimum heart health. I’d say that’s a no brainer. In fact, if I were the insurance companies, I would be making tracks to my local winery to make a sweet deal whereby they partner with the vintner to have cases of red wine sent to their clients every month. Then they could partner with UPS or even FedEx and get an even sweeter deal just by volume alone and I think that is tax deductible for them, so win, win, win.

And here’s how it would go: At any reasonable age after turning the age of majority. . . .say 21, a required medical check-up would be required. After a complete health history, physical work-up, blood panel and a Heart Score test, the freshly minted 21-year-old would begin a lifelong preventative program that begins with a required glass of wine every day.






BIO-

Raised in an affluent suburb of Detroit, Judi Coltman grew up in a female heavy household with an urban sense of "normal."

Coltman attended Michigan State University, majoring in Journalism until a professor requested she switch majors - "Apparently making a story better with added features isn't acceptable in the news world," Coltman laments.

With a BA in English from Northern Illinois University, Coltman has written for local, regional and national publications.

Most recently, Coltman has been writing a weekly blog called, "My Life in a Nutshell," from where her book material was born.

Coltman splits her time between northern Illinois and California where she and her husband lead a double life as Gidget and Moondoggy. Coltman is currently working on her second, third and fifth books simultaneously.

No comments: