Monday, November 3, 2008

Happy News Monday - Turning clocks back

Turn your clocks back.
Swedish researchers have discovered that turning your clock back an hour for daylight savings time may reduce the risk of having a heart attack. Most likely it is because you get an extra hour of sleep.
Researchers have long said that people don't sleep enough. We are a twenty four seven society. I can say I probably sleep enough most of the time. I'm amazed by people who only need four hours of sleep. I cannot function like that. I need a minimum of 7 hours and get it most nights, but I consider my sleep time sacrosanct. It is a family trait, too. My father up until his death at 92 would still sleep ten hours at night. He never wavered from 8-10 hours of sleep. And the spouses of my siblings (and my spouse) know not to wake us up unless it is an emergency. One of my kids has the sleep gene as we call it. He slept through the night (8-5) when he was only a month old. He napped until he was 4 1/2 years old. I still consider a nap a great pleasure, though with kids it is hard to do.
How many hours a night of sleep do you get? How much do you really need?
cmr

2 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I need 7 to 8 hours of sleep. My husband sleeps whenever he can--which is often. He's 78 so I guess it's allowed.

I do much better all day long if I can get a full night's sleep.

I loved getting to turn the clocks back and did sleep one hour longer.

Marilyn
http://fictionforyou.com

Kiersten said...

I can sleep a 12 hour stretch easily. I do best with 8-10 hours/night but I never see it. Most nights I get about 5-6 hours, sometimes 7-8 on the weekend.

I adore setting the clocks back, but for the loss of the daylight. I was so productive with writing on Saturday, and then I turned the clock back and was still able to watch a DVD without it getting too late! Bonus!