Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Authorsday: Saffina Desforges

1. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

It is cliqued to say “from when I could hold a pen” but it’s true! I can remember as far back as primary school making stories up for Halloween and Christmas etc and writing them down in an exercise book. It isn’t something I want to do, I have to do it.

2. How long have you been writing?
I have been writing properly (i.e. actually believing that I am a writer!) for about two years, but have always written for personal enjoyment since my early teens.

3. How did you pick the genre you write in?
Ah well, that’s a tricky one. My first completed novel is a crime thriller, but I am writing a dark, urban fantasy, as well as a series of commercial crime thrillers, so I guess I write across more than one genre (rightly or wrongly).

4. Do you plot or do you write by the seat of your pants?
Don’t you see these holes? ;-)

5. What drew you to the subject of Sugar & Spice?
The controversy of the subject and the fact that people choose to ignore the issues that S&S covers.

6. Did you encounter any obstacles in researching it?
Many, because it is such a taboo subject. The research was a long, hard slog and sometimes, people didn’t want to talk about what they knew or be associated with the subject matter.

7. What was the name of the first novel you wrote? Did you try to publish it?
I am still writing the first novel I ever wrote! It is 75% completed and I hope to have it ready for the middle of next year.

8. What’s your favorite quote?
“Better to remain silent and look a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.” I have no idea who it belongs to, it was on a desk calendar and I have never forgotten it.

9. What do you do when you are not writing?
I play and watch football (and yes, I am a girl!)

10. What was the hardest scene to write?
The scenes where Greg Randall is undergoing ‘therapy’ at the Institute. It was very difficult to get into the mind of a male with pedophile tendencies and not feel uncomfortable.

---
Author Bio:
I am a thirty-something writer from England. I live with my partner and a head full of people that don’t ever let me sleep.

---

Book Blurb::
When you've got two young children, and you think the unthinkable, where do you turn? Inspired by the story of a man who begged a Judge to give him a longer sentence, because he knew he would harm another child if released, Sugar & Spice is meticulously researched, asking the questions society prefers not to have answered. At once disquieting and challenging, Sugar & Spice is car crash reading

2 comments:

Geraldine Evans said...

Sounds interesting, if challenging, reading.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Geraldine. Yes, challenging, maybe, but I hope that the subject has been handled with sensitivity.

Saffina