Thursday, July 11, 2013

Authorsday: Lee Mavin

1. When did you know you wanted to be a writer? I wanted to be writer when I was in Grade 3 when my teacher said he enjoyed my short story.
2. How long have you been writing? I have been writing short stories since I was seven and moody poetry since I was a know-it-all teenager.
3. How did you pick the genre you write in? I picked the genre of Young Adult fiction because I am a teacher and am constantly surrounded and inspired by teenagers and children.
4. How many rejections have you received? The first came from Penguin Publishers when I sent them a fantasy story titled: The Quest For The Sword Of Fire when I was thirteen, (it really wasn't very good) and many followed after that!
5. Why did you pick the publisher that ultimately published your book? I picked ASJ Publishers because they are giving a lot of newer writers and poets a chance, are a legit publisher and are a fantastic talented team of individuals that work together well.
6. If you have a day job, what is it? I am a grade one teacher in Shanghai.
7. Describe your book. My book deals with the sick and twisted thoughts and actions of young students living in Shanghai. Some of these students are very driven and motivated to get what they want. Some crush everything and everyone in their path! It includes twelve chilling short stories, all set in Shanghai China! Based on the extrememly selfish and at times megalomaniac like tendencies of your average Chinese "one child policy" kid.
8. What’s your writing schedule? Anytime between lessons at work. Anytime my daughter and wife are either asleep or distracted.
9. What authors do you admire? I am currently only reading new authors Dianne Fordham
Krystal McLaughlin
Mike Wells
Elaine White
Roy Huff
Gigi Seldymayer and I am loving there work! But I am also a big time Rick Riordan, JRR Toilken, Haruki Murakami, Stephen King, Darren Shaun and CS Lewis fan.
10. What do you do when you are not writing? Watch NBA games and post comments on yahoo sports forums about the games afterward.
Author Bio

Lee J Mavin previously published a collection of poetry titled Reverse the universe: collected poems and unused lyrics and has also published a childrens novel titled The Diary Of A 7th Grade Hybrid.

He is a Japanese language teacher living in Shanghai. Confused? He gets up every morning and cram in to the subway with 25 million other sad souls, eager to teach all those "One Child Policy" children.

He sneaks as much writing he can in between lessons, it helps to ease the pain. He has already polished off a childrens novel, a collection of poetry and has started a series of stories titled "The Students Sold Us Secrets Volume One" with ASJ Publishers. He is also kept on his toes by his feisty wife and three year old daughter both of whom are Chinese. They like to let him know how bad his Chinese is on a daily basis.

Book Blurb

No one is safe! The school has become a war-zone and the innocent are turning fast! A brave and nameless teacher has collected some awful and disturbing documents from the some ghastly students. These are their stories and they will shock and amaze both teacher and student. But they haven't been given away for free. This terrified individual has paid a hefty price to get the truth and is paying for it, with his freedom. In his report he states, 'If you are considering a career in teaching I would advise against it completely. It has become a profession far more dangerous than a police officer or even an army soldier in open war.' 'I'm risking my life giving you this information, but I feel you need to know the truth. On the surface these children appear innocent and well-mannered but it is inside where their darkness dwells.' The Students sold us secrets volume 1 is the first collection of short stories from the writer that brought you Reverse the Universe, Lee J Mavin and will take you down a path you never thought existed. It's packed with twelve short stories, all equally alarming and unsettling, as well as a secret report written by an undercover teacher. Look Inside to find out the truth!

No comments: