Sunday, July 13, 2008

One of those moments

It isn't often that you find out that you must be doing something right as a parent.
There are no real milestones your kids reach where you can say, "Yeah I did that."
Other than maybe potty training. Most things are a matter of development in their own time.
And if other people tell you your kids are polite then you must be doing something right.
My sons were on vacation last week with thier aunt and uncle. This aunt and uncle never tell them 'No." Of course they enjoy this aunt and uncle.
So there they were in North Carolina.
My sister related this story to me this weekend.
The whole bunch was in a barbecue restuarant. My 10 YO was ordering. When the waitress asked what he wanted to drink he looked at her and told her that he and his brother had had a lot of sugar that day so they should have milk.
My sister said the waitress was speechless for a moment. The restaurant didn't have milk, but someone went across the street to the supermarket to buy it.
Just because my 10 YO knew he needed to have milk.
It warms my heart.
cmr

6 comments:

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Chris,
Wow, what a nice thing fro the restaurant to do. Sounds like your children had a great time. Nice for you to have some "free" time too.
Regards
Margaret

Renee Field said...

Chris I loved that blog about your sons on vacation without you. It's a hard thing to do - letting them go - but very rewarding when you find out you are raising them right. My eldest, 12 year-old just got back from Australia with his Nana and Papa and while he had a great time he found out he really missed all of us. He has 3 other siblings and was always saying he couldn't wait to leave home but I think it shocked him how much he missed all of them - Renee Field (www.reneefield.com)

Lisabet Sarai said...

I can see why you'd be proud! Thanks for sharing one of life's milestones.

Chris Redding said...

Renee,
I think sometimes we really don't realize how important our siblings are to us.
Thanks for stopping by.
cmr

Caridad Pineiro said...

It is those moments that tell you that you did a good job raising them. He knew your rules and did what was right, although he probably wanted that glass of soda! thanks for sharing.

Pat McDermott said...

Sounds like your sons understand the connection between freedom responsibility, Chris. Good job! I hope you have many more such lovely surprises.