Thursday, May 17, 2012

Authorsday: Kat Flannery

1. Do you plot or do you write by the seat of your pants? I generally start writing with no plot. It usually isn’t until the first few chapters are done that I write out a chapter outline and discover plots and subplots. However, the first idea usually doesn’t become my story. While writing the story, one of the characters is stronger than all the others, and I soon realize it is his/her story I am supposed to write. Thus the whole process starts all over again, and I create a new story.
2. What was the best writing advice someone gave you? Write what you know and if you don’t research the heck out of it. 3. If you have a day job, what is it? I do. I work from home as a freelance writer/designer. 4. Describe your book. Chasing Clovers is a story of hope, faith and love. It is set in the west where Mail Order Bride, Livy Green is grieving the loss of her only child while running from an elusive past. I chose to write this story from an emotional perspective. I placed myself in Livy’s shoes. How I would deal with losing a child? How I would react to other children? And how I would treat a man I’ve never met who I agreed to marry? The subjects in this book are deep and real; death, guilt, resentment, denial, betrayal, and anger. But the path John and Livy chose lead them to each other, and they discover the forgiveness they both need. Chasing Clovers is a tender tale woven solely for you, the reader, to enjoy and fall in love with. 5. What’s your writing schedule? I try to write every day. If I am not writing I am editing, or researching. 6. What’s your favorite quote? “The act of writing is the act of discovering what you believe” –David Hare. I have this tattooed on my arms. This quote rings true for me, as a writer and a reader. I want to be taken away to another place when I read a book, just as I want my reader to while reading mine. 7. What authors do you admire? There are so many that I love. Off the top of my head, Stephen King, Linda Lael Miller, Jane Austin, Ernest Hemmingway, and Jodi Thomas. 8. What would you like to learn to do that you haven’t? I’d love to learn how to play the guitar and write music. I cannot sing at all, but I love music. I grew up with it. The songs I listen to also tell a story only much shorter than the one’s I write. I depend on music when I am writing. 9. What did you enjoy most about writing this book? I loved that I was a part of John and Livy’s story. As I wrote this book, I felt for my characters. I strived to fix their problems and give them the happiness they deserved. In doing so, I learned that even though life may deal you a bad card, it’s what’s in the rest of the hand that matters. 10. What do you do when you are not writing? I have an awesome husband who I love spending time with, and three boys who keep me very busy running to hockey and lacrosse all year. On days when I don’t have to throw on the taxi sign, I love to read a good book and relax. Author Bio
Kat Flannery has had her writing published in numerous periodicals. She’s received her diploma for Creative, Freelance, and Business Writing. Kat writes Historical Romance, and on most days you can find her at the library doing research. An avid reader, Kat loves a good book that can take her away from the busy life of a mother to three boys. CHASING CLOVERS is Kat’s first novel, published by Imajin Books. She is currently putting the final touches on her next book. Book Blurb Kat Flannery is the perfect mix of sweet romance and Wild West adventure, with a generous dash of emotion in her tale CHASING CLOVERS. Mail order bride, Livy Green, is desperate to escape the memories of her past. John Taylor will never love another woman again, but his children need a mother. Will they learn to trust each other, or will their pasts interfere?

No comments: