Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Interview with Robert Walker

1. What do you know now that you are published that you didn’t know pre-published that you wish you knew?

I understand far better what the word commercial fiction means. As an upstart writer, that is hard to grasp. You want to do YOUR story, your fiction, your way, but if it is to sale well or at all, you have to be extremely mindful of the readers out there. They love romance, so even in a crime novel, I work in a romance—more commercial, you see. The plot too must appeal to a wide audience for it to be commercial.

2. How many rejections have you received?

I had amassed a file drawer full over the years; it is or was part of the game. Since I now am an Indie published author, guess what – not a single title of mine has faced rejection. HA!>

3. What was the best writing advice someone gave you?

From Dean R. Koontz, many practical tips on remaining determined, and for me to move out of horror and into suspense and crime writing. I never looked back, but yes I have since I still do the occasional horror title along with historical titles and romance and YA and alternate history, etc. But my biggest money maker has been my medical examiner titles – the Instinct Series.>

4. What was the worst? Did you know it at the time?

5. Yes, limit yourself to writing about what you know about. How damn dull is that? Write about people, places, and things that challenge you to find out more, and then write about what you can RESEARCH. Setting a book in Cuba is a challenge, writing 13 books from a female medical examiner’s POV is a challenge, and it keeps me engaged rather than bored with “what I know”.>

6. If you could ask your readers one question, what would it be?

Why not follow me into every genre I write? Don’t limit yourself to just my crime novels. There is crime in history, crime in romance, crime in YA stories, and definitely so in alternate historicals with a pinch of science fiction.



7. If you have a day job, what is it?

I have always maintained a teaching job, professor of English, college level primarily for a steady income and a daily dose of youth.

8. Describe your book.

My latest creation this year – there have been three, so I will discuss the most recent – The Red Path – a romance set against the Civil War when it comes to Indian Territory in 1861-65. I had a passion for this story for years, and after completing my Annie’s War, I figured out how to best tell this important story. It’s really about the crime against the Five Civilized Tribes of Indian Territory with a love story weaved in.

9. What do you consider your strengths in terms of your writing?

Iwork with all five burners, all five senses to craft the most visual scenes I can; I want them to be as ear-popping as they are eye-popping. To this end, I triangulate 3 to 5 senses in every scene and sometimes strive for that 6th sense to creep in.

10. What is your favorite writing reference book and why?

Jerome Stern’s small but powerful Making Shapely Fiction. It is an amazing compendium and no other book explains how we writers work so well as this. Best discussion on point of view and voice I have ever read anywhere, and I have read most all of them.

Author Bio:

Robert W. Walker earned a full scholarship to Northwestern University based on his writing a first novel while in high school. Since graduating with a Masters in English Education from NU in 1972, Robert has published 40 books with NYC publishers, and adding to these, he has 57 Kindle ebook titles listed on Amazon. Robert lives with his wife, children, and pets in Charleston, WV where he continues to teach at WVSU, and he is completing his 58th novel. He writes in a variety of categories, some of which he’s redefined.



Book Blurb:

Caught up in drama & intrigue of a nation torn apart—The Indian Nation—Cherokee spy Jessie Longbow & news reporter Raven Ross try to maintain a romance they believe bigger & stronger than the war. But when hostilities in the Civil War come to Indian Territory, Chief Stand Watie stands with the Confederacy & Southern Indian Brigades are quickly established. Chief Ross, President of the Cherokee Nation, pleads a Neutrality Policy, circulated to all tribes, while a third Chief, Opotheleyoholo, follows his own path, leading 9000 from Indian Territory to Kansas to become the Northern Indian Brigades.

Buy Link
http://www.amazon.com/RED-PATH-Indian-Brigades-Civil-ebook/dp/B00MR281VO/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1415551618&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Red+Path
Website
WWW.RobertWalkerbooks.com

No comments: