Monday, February 22, 2016

Namaste


I love yoga. Yoga is my chocolate. Well, sort of. Chocolate IS my chocolate, but yoga blisses me out just as fabulously.
Yoga is not something you learn overnight. It takes a while – as a matter of fact – years to learn.
I don't mean the pose. Anybody can do an adequate down dog after just a few weeks. It's what's going on in the head that takes years to learn.
I do Yin and Hatha. Every Yin needs a Yan and that's why I take Hatha. Yin is stillness. Hatha is motion.
I love Yin. Let me repeat – I LOVE YIN!!!!
Yin is a slower form. But that doesn't mean it's easy. The poses are held for up to five minutes. Settling one's body and mind takes practise. I've watched numerous people come to class, shift and fidget then leave disgusted that they didn't move or get any sort of workout. I want to shout at them – just because you didn't break a sweat doesn’t mean you didn't challenge your body. Take the time and savour the class. It will bring you bliss.
The poses are designed to put moderate stress on the connective tissues of the body (tendons, fascia and ligaments), aiding with circulation in the joints and improved flexibility. I can attest to having a damage knee re-stretched in Yin class. For the first few months, in saddle pose, my teacher said I looked like I was in agony. (Not exactly, but close). But over time, the tight connective tissue stretched and eased, making my knee joint less painful. I'm not claiming it cured my knee. The joint is still damaged, but it's less painful and easier to move – therefore improving my quality of life.
Then there's the meditative aspect of the class which leads to an inner silence. For the first year, holding a Yin pose for five minutes, my brain went over my day, planned out groceries or plotted the next chapter. After all, I had nothing else to do while I was "just lying there".
Now, I settle into a pose and my mind goes quiet. No thoughts. No craziness. Just - Peace. Calmness. Sublime tranquility.
How has this helped my writing? It gets me up off my butt and out to class. I interact with real people, not just my characters. And that alone is a good thing. My body now moves more easily. I feel refreshed and energized and when it is time to sit down and write, I can clear my mind and focus on what needs to get done.

My excerpt is from my WIP – From Rockstar to Queen and Back
Scene set - Erika and Apollo having a yoga session.
©DarylDevore 2016
Erika walked over to a small closet, opened the doors and pulled out two yoga mats. "Green or purple?"
Apollo shrugged and held out his hand.
"Purple's my favorite color. I had a purple bedroom when I was twelve." She handed him the green yoga mat then unrolled hers. "Shall I lead?"
"You're the Boss Lady." He settled on his mat next to hers.
After switching the music to a New Age music folder, the pounding beat of the rock 'n roll morphed into a mellow tune with the sound of flowing water. Erik sat, crossed her legs and rested her wrists on her knees. "Close your eyes and settle in to your breathing. Feel the air filling your lungs. Providing life giving oxygen. Wow." She chuckled. "I sound like my yoga teacher."
"Trying to meditate here. Your chatter's killin' my Zen." His tone was mildly sarcastic.
She stifled a snicker. "Sorry." Then focused on her breathing. With each breath, her racing pulse slowed. Her ears caught the soft sound of his rhythmical breathing. She shifted her head a fraction and peeled open her eye. His eyes were closed and his countenance relaxed.
She opened the other eye and cast an appreciative glance. His shaggy, light blond hair, the color of a macadamia nut, was damp at the ends. A few strands glued themselves to his neck. His profile was chiseled, not a spare amount of flesh anywhere; firm brow, sculpted nose, full lips. The line from his well-rounded chin to his chest was regal and proud. His muscled shoulders and firm biceps hid the strength she knew was there. Several times in their sparring match, he had bested her with ease. Even more times, she'd had to snap her focus back to the moment and away from a sexual wish.
She squirmed on the mat, fighting off the urge to lean closer and run her tongue along the curve of his chest, pausing to flick a few licks across his nipple. The washboard route from chest to the waistband of his shorts was a fantasy waiting to be explored.
"Are you staring at me?"
Erik snapped her face back to the front and closed her eyes. "Why would you ask that?"
"The denial of answering a question usually means caught in the act."
She pushed up to standing. "Let's move on to Namaskar."
"Pardon?" He opened his eyes and stood.
"Sun Salutation. You do know it, right?"
He nodded. "Just don't know the Sanskrit names?"
Erik lead the class, choosing the Asanas, yoga moves, she liked best or put Apollo in a position she could appreciate. Downward-Facing Dog being her favorite. His weight on hands and feet, legs straight and that ass of his stuck up in the air. The thought of it made her shiver.

Blurb –

Erika Bailey wants a quiet night at her drag queen club; paying customers, fabulous divas, and no fights.

Darien Scott just wants to party; have a few laughs. He didn't want bullets, bloodshed and dying screams.

To save Darien's life his brother asks, "Can you walk in high heels?" 

Bio
Daryl Devore lives in an in old farmhouse in Ontario, Canada, with her husband, a large salt water aquarium full of fish and some house ghosts. Her daughter is grown and has flown the nest. Daryl loves to take long walks up her quiet country road, or snow shoe across the back acres and in the summer, kayak along the St. Lawrence River. She has touched a moon rock, a mammoth and a meteorite. She's been deep in the ocean in a submarine, flew high over Niagara Falls in a helicopter and used the ladies room in a royal palace. Life's an adventure and Daryl's having fun living it.

Published Works
A Kept Woman – Amazon
A Kept Woman – Italian version
A Kept Woman – Amazon - Portuguese
Sexy Red Hood - Amazon
Black Dorn - Amazon
Capri's Fate - Amazon
Braced for Impact (Crashing into Love box set) - AMAZON US
FL.E.S.H. - US AMAZON

Where to find Daryl Devore
(or Daryl Devore)
GoodReads Author Page - http://www.goodreads.com/DarylDevore






5 comments:

Daryl Devoré said...

Thanks for letting me stop by and chat about my love of yoga.

Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to try yoga-you've convinced me to do it! And, you know how much I LOVE this book with no name ;)

Daryl Devoré said...

Go for it Jennifer. When the words wont flow - I go to yoga class - destress - clear my mind. The magic didn't happen over night. I've been taking yoga for years.
First rule of yoga - don't look at the other people. If the person next to you can hold a pose like - balanced on their ear with the big toe stuck up their nose- good for them.
My yoga mantra - Touching my toes to my head in a back bend will not lead me to enlightenment or in the slightest way extend my life. When I step on the mat, I start to appreciate my physical limitations and work with what I have, from there I will develop peace and contement from within.

Melissa Keir said...

The book sounds wonderful... all the best with it! Yoga sounds great and I would love to try it. I need to see what is offered near here.

Daryl Devoré said...

Yes, Melissa find a class - it's fabulous.