Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Word Wednesday - genuflect

genuflect \JEN-yuh-flekt\, intransitive verb:
1. To bend the knee or touch one knee to the ground, as in worship.2. To be servilely respectful or obedient; to grovel.
This word brings me back to my Catholic School days. Genuflecting before you went into the pew.

A sign of respect and humility, I presume.

Catholic School is what made me want to be a writer. We did a lot of writing and I was noticed for my talent. Science wasn’t such a big deal. It was a “special” as they call music and art nowadays. We didn’t have science on a regular basis.

We had religion every day. We had English everyday. (Literacy as they call it now.)

But not science. Hence I messed up that part of the test when I moved to public school.

But, that was okay, because I knew in fifth grade, in the Annunciation BVM School, that I was going to be a writer.

When did you know what your calling in life was?

2 comments:

The Paperback Diva said...

I'm still trying to find it! lol! No, I think writing is my calling but I was an adult before I truly believed that. Before writing was a hobby, a semi-secret hobby. I thought I was supposed to follow the traditional route, education, job, marriage, motherhood. I wanted to be an advocated for a cause. But I didn't succeed at any of those.

Morgan Mandel said...

In sophomore year of high school I decided I wanted to be a secretary. I still am, because I can't quit my day job. I'd prefer to be a full time writer. That preference came about 13 years ago and I'm still working toward that goal.

Morgan Mandel/Double M
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://www.morganmandel.com