Thursday, July 22, 2010

Authrosday - Katie Hines

Today I put author Katie Hines under the microscope.



1. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

Well, I have written on and off since I was a child. I remember thinking writing was cool, but the only kind of writing that paid was journalism that I knew of. I’m not sure who I thought wrote all the books I’ve read! I journaled extensively in my early 20s, but it wasn’t until I found something lacking in my life that I actively pursued writing.

2. How did you pick the genre you write in?

I am a long time fantasy lover, so fantasy elements seemed natural in my first book, “Guardian.”

3. Do you plot or do you write by the seat of your pants?

I did some plotting. Mostly I knew where I was going to end up, so I’d plot a little, brainstorm some, write, plot some more.

4. Did you encounter any obstacles in researching it?

Researching for “Guardian” was pretty easy. I read what I could online, but I also bought about 6-7 different books that related to my story in one way or another. I was also fortunate to find people who knew people...that had answers to many of my questions.

5. What do you know now that you are published that you didn’t know pre-published that you wish you knew?

That marketing is a lot harder than it sounds, and you MUST have a solid marketing plan in place before your book comes out, and be willing to dig your heels in and work hard on it.

6. How many rejections have you received?

Two.

7. What was the best writing advice someone gave you?

To persevere. To him that persevereth comes the reward of being published!

8. Why did you pick the publisher that ultimately published your book?

While I was writing my book, I would periodically come across publishers who I thought would be interested in my book. I kept a file, and when I was ready to submit my book, I sorted through the file and pulled publishers in order of who I thought was most likely to publish my book. Then I sent out three query letters, and my book was picked up by the third.

9. Who is your greatest cheerleader?

Without a doubt it is my husband. He is the one who encouraged me to write in the first place. To be honest, I was at a place in my life where I was bored and unchallenged. He encouraged me to take my journals and fashion a memoir, which I did. It was truly awful, but was the springboard to learning about creative writing and actually writing a book myself.

10. What would you like to learn to do that you haven’t?

More about specifics of marketing.

Author Bio: Katie Hines put writing away for a time to raise children, but came back to it in her late 40s. Since that time, she has written and published, “Guardian,” and is working on 2 chapter books, one ya novel, and another middle grade novel.

Book Blurb:

Imagine you have made a secret promise that can lead you to an incredible treasure and an ancient power. But in order to fulfill that promise, you must defeat an age-old sect determined to claim the treasure and power themselves.

Thanks for joining me today Katie!

1 comment:

KM Fawcett said...

Nice Interview. It is so important to have the support of your spouse. My husband made a comment last night about how glad he is we support each other. He had just come home from teaching karate and mentioned a student whose husband doesn't support her or the kids with their training. I think that is sad.